Rideshare services like Uber have exploded in popularity in cities like Chicago, 8 million rides per month or 286,000 trips per day. As more Uber drivers hit the roads, accidents unfortunately happen. If you've been in a crash with a rideshare vehicle, things get complicated fast. You're not dealing with a typical car v. car case - there are unique legal and insurance complexities. Don't go it alone against the rideshare giants! In this guide, we'll walk through what accident victims need to know and connect you with experienced Uber accident lawyers who can help.
I've seen first-hand how devastating Chicago Uber crashes can be for injured passengers and drivers - ongoing medical bills, pain, disability, and denied insurance claims, victims are often left scrambling and unsure of their rights after the dust settles. My goal is to help you understand your options, determine if you have a case, and connect with you as advocates who have helped many other accident victims in Chicago. Knowledge is power, so let's get you up to speed!
We’re Here to Help
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident involving an Uber, our experienced Chicago injury attorneys are here to help. We know this can be an overwhelming and uncertain time. Let us put our knowledge of rideshare law and insurance policies and claims to work helping you recover damages. For a free case evaluation and to learn about your options after a Chicago Uber car accident, contact our office today at (312) 766-1000. Time is often limited to take legal action, so don't go it alone. Contact us now.
Were You in an Uber Crash in Chicago? Here's What to Do Next
If you've been injured as an Uber passenger or by one of their drivers, you likely have a lot of questions about the next steps. Here are some tips:
- Seek medical care even for minor injuries – this documents the incident.
- Report the crash and injury to Uber right away. Their policies have strict notification timeframes.
- Contact the police to get an official report filed.
- Take photos of damage, injuries, and the scene. This evidence is crucial.
- Speak with any eyewitnesses and get their contact information.
- Consult with an experienced Uber accident attorney promptly. They can listen, answer your questions, handle the insurance complexities, and protect your rights.
The most dangerous thing you can do is try to deal with Uber on your own following an accident. Their top concern is shielding the company, not helping you. Having your own knowledgeable legal advocates levels the playing field.
Why Uber Crashes Differ from Typical Accidents
You use Uber assuming it’s just like riding in a taxi or friend’s car. But when crashes occur, major differences emerge:
- Complex insurance claims - Rideshare companies and drivers have specific policies that come into play. An attorney can help navigate what should cover your damages.
- Multiple potentially liable parties - Uber, the driver, vehicle manufacturers, and other motorists, often may share fault.
- Strict notification requirements - Uber requires fast reporting of crashes or your claim could be denied.
- Access to evidence is challenging - Dashcam footage must be obtained quickly through proper legal channels.
- Settlement negotiations are tricky - Large corporations like Uber fight aggressively against injury claims.
Experienced lawyers understand these unique complexities inside and out. Don’t risk your rights and leave money on the table by going it alone against the rideshare giants!
Pinpointing Liability - Who's Really at Fault?
When a rideshare vehicle crashes, determining all responsible parties is crucial but complicated. Is it the driver’s fault? Or does the blame fall on Uber? Or is another driver partially at fault? An attorney can help identify liable parties:
- The Uber driver - They may have been impaired, distracted, fatigued, speeding, or otherwise driving negligently.
- Uber - Did they fail to properly train, supervise, or conduct sufficient background checks on the driver?
- Vehicle manufacturers - Could faulty airbags, defective brakes, or other vehicle issues have caused or worsened the crash?
- Other motorists - Additional negligent drivers must be held accountable.
Experienced Chicago rideshare accident lawyers have the legal resources to build strong injury claims against all responsible parties. Don’t get shortchanged on the compensation you deserve!
Exposing the Safety Risks of Uber
Despite their branding as safe transportation options, rideshares come with numerous hazards if not properly regulated:
- Minimal background checks can allow high-risk drivers on the road.
- Drivers distracted by their apps and directions raise crash risks.
- Long hours without rest periods contribute to tired, negligent operators.
- Lacking vehicle inspection policies fail to catch maintenance issues.
- Pick-up and drop-off practices like double parking often cause accidents.
By investigating Uber’s company safety oversights and driver conduct in your specific crash, your Chicago car accident lawyer can build a compelling case. Don't just take Uber's word that their service is secure - hold them fully accountable.
What Damages Can You Recover After a Rideshare Accident?
Determining the full scope of damages after an Uber car accident can be complex. Your experienced attorney will thoroughly investigate and quantify all tangible and intangible losses to build the strongest personal injury claim possible.
This process involves identifying every type of harm or loss you have suffered, such as:
- Documenting all accident-related medical treatments and predicting likely future care needed. This includes rehabilitation, physical therapy, assistive devices, and other costs.
- Calculating any lost income from missing work during recovery. Your attorney can obtain payroll records and speak with employers. Lost future earnings may also be included for permanent disabilities.
- Learning about your pain and disability - both physical and mental/emotional is a key piece of the puzzle
- Assessing property damage like vehicle repair/replacement expenses. Your lawyer can obtain repair estimates or total loss valuations.
- Assigning a monetary amount to harder to quantify damages like pain and suffering. An attorney can advise on reasonable claim amounts that courts often award for given injuries.
With a highly experienced lawyer quantifying all categories of losses, you can maximize your deserved compensation. Do not leave money on the table or let insurance companies lowball offers. Your attorney must have the commitment and the legal skills to build a strong claim that makes you whole.
Staying Safe On the Road - Advice For Rideshare Drivers
As someone who's helped many rideshare drivers with bodily injury claims, we know firsthand the challenges you face working for companies like Uber. You deal with tight schedules, demanding passengers, and constant pressure to deliver perfect experiences.
But here's the key - none of that matters if you don't make it home in one piece at the end of each shift. Your safety and others' come first.
Here are some tips I give my own friends and family who drive:
- Forget about distractions. I know - the GPS acts up, riders chat your ear off, and your phone dings nonstop. But tune it all out and 100% focus on the road. Everything else can wait.
- Don't be afraid to call it quits when you're tired. Driving worn out is incredibly dangerous. Listen to your body. Pull over and rest up before getting back at it.
- Inspect your car thoroughly before hitting the streets. Catch issues early and get them addressed. Once you're driving, it's too late.
- Patience and planning prevent accidents. Build in extra time, obey signs, and avoid risky maneuvers.
- Scope out safe pick-up and drop-off spots. It takes an extra minute but is worth it. Never let passengers exit into traffic.
- Put your own well-being first if riders seem sketchy. You don't have to tolerate scary situations.
Staying safe is the priority - for you and everyone else on the road. But if the worst happens, call me. My team and I will walk you through your options and deal with the insurance headaches so you can focus on recovery. Don't go it alone. I'm in your corner.
Uber Accident FAQs
Can I Sue Uber in Chicago If a Driver Hits My Car?
Though challenging, it is possible to sue and win against Uber if their negligent driver damages your vehicle and causes injuries. Our attorneys have successfully held Uber liable by building strong cases proving the driver's fault and Uber's responsibility. If an Uber driver caused your accident, and Uber knew or should have known the danger posed by them, contact us to explore recovering your losses.
Did an Uber driver hit you while you were driving, biking, or walking?
If an Uber driver has hit you while you were driving, biking, or walking, you could have a case to sue the negligent driver. Depending on the situation, the driver may be held liable for any injuries or damages caused by their negligence. It is important to seek legal advice and document all evidence of the incident in order to determine whether or not you have grounds to pursue a lawsuit.
How common are Uber accidents?
Uber crashes are becoming more common as more and more folks hop on the service. While most Uber drivers are expected to be top-notch, there have been cases of careless drivers causing harm to riders. In these situations, passengers can take legal action against the driver and/or Uber to cover any costs incurred. It's really crucial for all Uber riders to play it safe and take precautions while riding to lower the chance of accidents occurring.
Connect With a Chicago Uber Accident Lawyer Today
If you or a loved one has been harmed in a crash with Uber, you need knowledgeable legal advocates on your side. The rideshare giants have massive resources working against injury claims. Fight back with our Chicago Uber accident attorneys who will relentlessly protect your rights. Don't wait - learn your options during a free case review. Your physical recovery and financial future are on the line. Take the first step now. Call or text us today at (312)766-1000 or email [email protected].
I hope this guide better equips you to handle Uber crashes' unique challenges. Remember - knowledge is power. Stay safe out there, and don't hesitate to reach out with any questions!