Scott Blumenshine has dedicated his professional career to zealously represent his clients and to improving the legal system. He feels called by this command: compelled by the calling “speak for others who cannot speak for themselves, for the right of all who are destitute, speak up and judge fairly. Defend the rights of the poor and needy.”
For over 35 years, Scott has written for legal publications and spoken at continuing legal education seminars. He has authored legislative amendments to the Illinois Insurance Code amendments which help protect insurance consumers. The Insurance Code amendments he created increased penalties for insurance company bad faith and increased the limit on uninsured and underinsured motorist binding arbitration awards.
Mr. Blumenshine has been a public voice calling out significant safety dangers being addressed in the courts. He was interviewed by reporter Pam Zekman on a CBS Channel 2 News segment about a client’s catastrophic injuries caused by a trucking collision. He gave his views on the subject of truck side rail crash protection. He has been on Spanish speaking media in connection with an assault claim brought against a famous latin performer. Scott has provided media commentary regarding life insurance litigation arising from a death in Aruba. Additionally, he has been quoted in articles regarding changes in Illinois insurance law.
Juris Doctor, IIT Chicago — Kent College of Law, 1987
- Dean's List 1986-1987
Bachelor of Science, University of Iowa, 1984
- Vice President and Secretary, Pi Kappa Alpha
- Intramural Champion - Wrestling and Softball
Admitted to Practice Law
- State of Illinois, 1987
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1988
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Assembly member 2008-2012
- Member, Insurance Law Section Council
- Co Chair, Legislation Committee
- Co Chair, Continuing Legal Education Committee
- Contributor, The Policy, Newsletter of the Insurance Law Section Council
- Mentoring Program
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
- Notary Public
- Arbitrator, American Arbitration Association, 2004 to present
- Fred Lane’s One Year Trial Techniques Course, 1995
- Arbitrator Best Practices Update for Illinois Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Claims, 2016, American Arbitration Association
- Arbitrator, Circuit Court of Cook County, Mandatory Arbitration Program, certified 1996
- Arbitrator, Circuit Court of DuPage County, Mandatory Arbitration Program, certified 1992
- Mediator, Center for Conflict Resolution, 1988
- “Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage,” Chapter 8 - Illinois Auto Insurance Law and Practice (West Publishing, 2007).
- Allstate v Trujillo Article on the public policy protections of underinsured motorist statute that prohibit insurer application of set off provision. The Policy (Newsletter of the Insurance Law Section Council of the Illinois State Bar Association), April 2014
- Phoenix v. Rosen: Rejection of underinsured motorist arbitration awards: Article on Illinois Supreme Court decision. The Policy (Newsletter of the Insurance Law Section Council of the Illinois State Bar Association)
- Addison v Faye: Invalid insurance policy exclusions. Article on Illinois Supreme Court decision regarding burden of proof for insurance policy exclusions. The Policy (Newsletter of the Insurance Law Section Council of the Illinois State Bar Association.)
- Smith v State Farm: Insurance bad faith lawsuit after uninsured motorist claim arbitration hearing: Article on Illinois Appellate Court decision regarding the availability of bad faith remedies after an uninsured motorist arbitration award. Published in The Policy (Newsletter of the Insurance Law Section Council of the Illinois State Bar Association) December 2006.
- Klehr v Farmers: availability of judicial remedy in arbitration process. Article on Illinois Appellate Court decision regarding appellate review of discovery order by arbitrator in uninsured motorist arbitration. Published in The Policy (Newsletter of the Insurance Law Section Council of the Illinois State Bar Association) December 2006.
- Illinois Personal Injury Practice, 1987. Three-volume practice guide. Verified and edited Illinois case law and statutory citations on behalf of co-author Judge Brian L. Crowe.
- "Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Arbitration Hearings" - DuPage County Bar Association's Alternative Dispute Resolution Section, January 2021.
- “Insurance Company Duties is the Claim Process” Insurance Law Section Council Illinois State Bar Association, April 2019.
- "Making the Most of Your Arbitration Hearing" - Panelist presenting the Plaintiff/Claimant Perspective, Chicago Bar Association, June 2015.
- "Hot Topics in Insurance Law" - Co-Chair, Insurance Law Section of the Illinois State Bar Association, July 2015
- "First Party Insurance Claims" - Insurance Coverage For The General Practitioner, Presented by the ISBA Insurance Law Section Council, April 2014.
- “The Arbitration Hearing” - Uninsured and Underinsured Motorists Coverage: The Necessary Basics, Illinois State Bar Association, June 2011.
- “Failure to Pay: Claims for Unreasonable and Vexatious Insurer Delay” - Insurance and Bad Faith Actions Seminar, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Chicago, February, 2008.
- “Causes of Action Against Insurers: Everything You Need To Know About Illinois Insurance Law” - Illinois State Bar Association, Chicago, October 2006 and Collinsville, November 2006.
- “Supreme Court Rule 213 Disclosures: Anatomy of an Automobile Case Seminar” - Illinois State Bar Association, Chicago, May 2004.
- Law Offices of Meyer and Blumenshine, Partner, 2000-2017
- Bernard A. Wolfe & Associates, Associate Attorney, 1992-1999
- Coghlan, Joyce, Kukankos & D’Arcy, Associate Attorney, 1988-1992
- Circuit Court of Cook County, Law Clerk and Staff Attorney, 1986-1988
- Staff Member - Mankind Project since 1992
- Career Day Madison Elementary, June 2015
- Sponsor Annual Community and Coaches Golf Outing, 2010 to present
- Sponsor- Young Life Golf Fundraiser, 2015 to present
- Participant, Ask A Lawyer Day, Illinois State Bar Association, 2014
- Illinois Supreme Court Commission on Law School Orientation Professionalism Program, 2013
- Presenter, End Distracted Driving Program, York High School, 2013
- Former Chicago High School Moot Court Program Volunteer, 1987-1988
- Former Park District Little League Baseball Coach
- Former AYSO Soccer Coach