Am I Covered?

Get a Free Case Evaluation

Complete the form for a 

free case review


M, Bentley

Thank you for taking my case and being so kind and considerate and never forgetting to update me on where we were in the process. Thank you Scott and Catalina and anyone else that worked on my case.

Natalie A. 

I was in an accident and hired this law firm to represent me, I was very satisfied with the outcome. If I have more legal needs in the future I will give them a call.

Related Content

April 9, 2024

Recovering After a Devastating T-Bone Accident: Your Legal Rights and Options

April 6, 2024

Chicago Rear-End Accident Lawyer

Our Office

traffic Chicago

177 N. Jefferson St., Suite 203

Chicago, IL 60601

(312) 766-1000

Download Free e-Book - Uninsured, Hit and Run and Underinsured Motorist

Am I Covered ebook

Uninsured, Hit-and-Run, and Underinsured Motorist Coverage in Illinois


You've been in an accident through no fault of your own and find out the other driver is uninsured or underinsured. Where do you go next, what do you do? If you have uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage on your insurance, you may receive valuable proceeds from your own policy. If you were injured, you may have questions about whether you are covered or not. Is your insurance company delaying or denying your claim? This book is intended to help you with your questions about uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage.

Uninsured motorist coverage is sometimes referred to as “UM.” Hit-and-run claims are paid through uninsured motorist coverage. Underinsured motorist insurance coverage is sometimes referred to as “UIM.” Uninsured, hit-and-run, and underinsured motorist insurance protection is included automatically, unless you decline it, in most auto liability policies.

UM and UIM coverage may be available to you in many circumstances. UM and UIM coverage can cover you if you are a driver, a passenger, a pedestrian, a bicyclist, or a motorcyclist. The coverage can be available to you from another person’s policy. For example, UM and UIM coverage from another person’s policy can apply to you if you are in their car when hurt by an uninsured or underinsured driver.

The law, and common sense, require drivers to have insurance. You likely have car insurance and it has UM and UIM coverage. Unfortunately, many drivers are not insured, or they are underinsured. 12.6 percent of motorists, or about one in eight drivers, are uninsured according to a 2014 study by the Insurance Research Council (IRC). Uninsured drivers increase the risk of injury from car crashes for everyone. Uninsured drivers are 72% more likely to be in accidents than the general driving population. Research shows that uninsured drivers drive less safely and responsibly than insured drivers. Uninsured drivers are likely uninsured because their unsafe driving habits have driven up their insurance premiums.

Uninsured motorists are a major cause of collisions causing injury, damage, and death on the roadways. And, because of their uninsured status, uninsured drivers are highly likely to hit and run. Fleeing the scene is common for uninsured motorists. It is not fair that the person responsible for the accident is not required to pay related costs. However, the only reasonable action to take is to ensure that you and your family are covered by sufficient uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. $100,000 is the minimum coverage limit that people should carry. Hospital and medical costs can be astronomical. Many insurance and legal professionals have policy limits of $250,000 or more because they have seen the economic loss caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver.

Fortunately, a victim of a collision with an uninsured or underinsured driver can have a remedy. By carrying sufficient UM and UIM coverage, you are protected because your policy will pay you if you are injured by an uninsured, hit-and-run, or underinsured driver. Uninsured motorist coverage is the primary means of compensating people injured by uninsured, hit-and-run, or underinsured motorists.

Drivers, passengers, pedestrians, and bicyclists can be paid through UM or UIM coverage when struck by an uninsured or underinsured motorist. Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage can apply to people with automobile insurance who are struck while walking or riding a bicycle.

This e-book helps to explain the insurance and legal remedies available after a driver, passenger, cyclist, motorcyclist, or pedestrian is injured in a collision with an uninsured, hit-and-run, or underinsured motorist. The book answers common questions about uninsured and underinsured motorists’ coverage and breaks down legal and insurance jargon into easily understandable concepts. The book attempts to provide the best answers to the common question, “Am I covered?” It also provides answers to specific questions about insurance policy exclusion and limitations on UM and UIM coverage.

To download the rest of Scott's free eBook titled Uninsured, Hit-and-Run, and Underinsured Motorist Coverage in Illinois, click here.

Disclaimer: This e-book is informational, and it does not include any individual legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed by the purchase or use of the book. To get specific advice on your question, please contact an attorney experienced in uninsured and underinsured motorist claims.

By Scott A. Blumenshine Copyright © 2023

Free Case Consultation

Please provide your information to questions in the form or call



Se habla español

By submitting form you agree to receive email, SMS and phone communication from Blumenshine Law Group. The information contained in the website should not be considered legal advice. The best guidance for your specific legal issue is to contact one of our lawyers.